Ever Present Curiosity

I like to stone.

Friday, August 31, 2007

A day to play

Today our country celebrated its 50th year of independence, with me at home stoning and playing Valkyrie Profile 2. Did I ever say how glad I am that I bought that PS2 console? Life as a gamer would be all dark and gloom for me without it.

Look at how it is nowadays, they just don't make my favourite type of RPG for PCs anymore. Look at Square Enix, they practically release all their games only for the Playstation 2 or Playstation 3 platforms. PC gamers are mostly glued to their monitors playing RTS or FPS games. I'll die from boredom if I had to play those for the rest of my life.

If you have a PS2 console, one game I would really recommend is Odin Sphere. The game is gorgeous visually, the characters and backgrounds are hand drawn! I just happened to buy the game one day when I looked at the back cover of the game. I thought why not looks good, and it turned out to be one of the best games I bought. Mind you I buy a lot of RPGs and TRPGs (tactical role playing games), some of them just aren't really good (Final Fantasy 12 comes to mind), though I must say that I find most TRPGs I buy quite fun.

Although I have to warn you that some parts of Odin Sphere can lag considerably, the frame rate will start crawling when there are lots of enemies on certain stages. If you ask me why I guess its because the PS2 still isn't capable of rendering such graphics at high speeds yet? Makes you wonder why didn't they ported it to the PS3.

If you like tactical role playing games you could try Disgaea 1 and Disgaea 2. To attest to its popularity, Disgaea even spawned its own manga and anime series, cool huh? I have the manga if you are interested. The anime you could probably buy from AnimeTech either in Midvalley or Sunway Pyramid. But on a side note, if there's anything I know about Malaysian license titles, the video quality is gonna suck big time. It'll be pretty tedious to talk about the whole story here so just go look around places like gamespot for screenshots and trailers.

If you have played this 2 games and liked it very much, Disgaea 3 is slated for release this year for the PS3 console. Of course, it'll be in Japanese for awhile before some North American company licenses it. I just hope the voice acting doesn't suck.

Speaking of voice acting, I'll advice you to change the voice for Odin Sphere to Japanese if you do get to play it. Why? Because the English voice acting ranges from the terrible to the average, really uninspiring stuff. The Japanese seiyuu for one of the playable characters in Odin Sphere is none other than Kawasumi Ayako (Saber in Fate/Stay Night <3<3<3)! Another is Noto Mamiko, who voiced Tsukamoto Yakumo in School Rumble. <3<3<3

So in all honesty, if you are a RPG fan, get a PS2 or PS3 (for future games). If you are sick of having nothing else to play on the PC except for FPS that all feels more or less the same or RTS that have little or minimal storyline , get a PS2, it will be a decision you'll learn to be happy with. Of course there are exceptions such as Warcraft and Starcraft, but lets be honest how many RTS have you seen with decent storyline?

Being independence day, you'd think I would celebrate right? But I'm probably one of those that really can't be bothered with the stupid activities they have for days like these. Fireworks in the city center or in Putrajaya for example. Pure folly I say! Go ahead and get stuck in a 1-3 hours traffic jam if you want, I'll stay home where its cozy.

That being said I really didn't care, so much so that I didn't even realize it was past midnight early today. I was browsing through the forums and...

Me: Eh wonder whats the time...zomg its 1am! Where were the purported fireworks....meh I don't really care *continues browsing through animesuki forums*

No fireworks can be seen or heard near my area! Thats why. Oh well, not that I cared for fireworks anyway. The only indepedence I'll ever celebrate is one that hasn't happened for me yet. When it comes, I'll celebrate all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home